Mold is inescapable. For some people, its effects are drastic. Brain-fog, sinus irritation, muscle loss, and even some cancers can result from mold exposure. Fortunately, you are not powerless to do something about it. My guest today explains how you can recognize if you’ve been exposed and what you can do to stay healthy.
There is a host of potential health problems associated with mold exposure. Since these are often similar to the symptoms of other common diseases, they can be hard to diagnose.
The design of your home greatly impacts the potential for mold growth. Breathable building materials and dehumidifiers will help a lot. However, you need to stay vigilant because mold can creep up nearly anywhere.
About Dr. Jill Crista
Dr. Jill Crista ND is a naturopathic physician in southwest Wisconsin. Her practice focuses on taking on patients suffering from the effects of mold exposure and Lyme disease. She’s on a mission to educate the public about the dangers of mold to keep them and their families safe and healthy.
Mold is Everywhere, But You Can Still Act
Even common molds can lead to negative health problems. There are many factors behind the way mold affects different people. Chief among these is the size of the dose, duration, and susceptibility. Even your nutrient intake is a factor.
Discovering that mold is in your home is devastating. Remediation is expensive. Moving is seldom an option. But living with constant exposure will take its toll. There are steps you can take to help. From not storing cardboard in the cellar to building with specialized materials, you can make it harder for mold to take hold in the first place.
Recognizing Mold’s Effects on Your Health
Since the toxins in mold are fat-soluble, they can travel nearly anywhere in the body. This can create a whole host of symptoms. For this reason, mold exposure can be difficult to correctly diagnose. Even anxiousness, ear-ringing, and pelvic pain can be a result. With so many possible effects, it is crucial that you and your doctor discover how mold is impacting your health.
Mold will even impact your muscles. Since many mold mycotoxins act as protein synthesis inhibitors, your muscles may not recover after they break down. That’s why mold exposure is a direct contributor to the loss of muscle mass. While all this can seem frightening, Dr. Crista shares some steps you can take right away to get back on track.
Have you had to deal with toxic mold exposure? What do you do to rid mold from your life? Tell me in the comments below!
In this episode
- The reasons why some people are more affected by mold than others [2:10]
- Why mold exposure is the “great imitator” of other diseases [8:43]
- The detoxification symptoms that can occur after mold exposure [12:07]
- The different effects of outdoor and indoor mold [13:40]
- How to detect mold inside your home [17:24]
- Different reactions for men and women [20:40]
- Designing your home to be resistant to mold [23:27]
- How to discover if you have mold in your system [32:32]
- Why chemical sensitivity often accompanies mold exposure [42:15]
- How mold affects muscle tissue [46:39]
- Simple steps to recovery [49:38]
“The toxins that come from mold in an indoor environment are biowarfare weapons.” [2:30]
“Mold has a very important job in nature which is to decompose dead, previously organic material. What do we build our houses with? Dead organic material.” [14:15]
“There’s a lot of things the liver is supposed to be doing. Those activities get gummed up when you’re exposed to mycotoxins.” [43:25]
“When you move a muscle you can damage it. That’s the whole idea of gaining muscle. As you break it down it will build up bigger. If you have mold on board, you don’t get the repair part.” [48:14]
Podcast production & marketing support by the team at Counterweight Creative